Pages

Tuesday 28 June 2011

More Vulcan-Inspired Art - Vulcan Salute

For the last few posts I have been focusing on some of my Star Trek art and crafts, and this is no different. This piece, however, is one of my favorites:


This is an exact mold of my hand, created using wax and plaster. In fact, I am pretty sure a criminal could use this to leave fingerprints at crime scenes.

On the palm is the word "tafar" (discipline) in ancient Vulcan calligraphy, and on the base is one of my favorite quotes by Surak:

"Kup-fun-tor ka'kiv na-ish du stau? Dom nam-tor vohris nem-tor ha'kiv."

"Can you return life to what you kill? Then be slow to take life."


After a show one time, the hand fell to the ground and all of the fingers snapped off, with the entire tip of one being lost. Luckily, I was able to put it back together, mix plaster to a thick consistency so that I could mold it into the tip (you can see the piece that I replaced), and repaint it. Good as new!

No comments:

Post a Comment